Popular Posts:

16 Jul

Well I made this plugin ages ago and somehow never got round to putting it up on the Developer Centre at WordPress.

You must have a widget enabled theme to use this plugin (most are tbh). Once you have uploaded and activated the plugin just add it to your sidebars widget area.

ThePath Tabbed Widget does link in with other plugins to make it work:

The above plugins must be installed if you are to get all the tabs working.

A known issue is WordPress.com Popular Posts adding a horrible title to the top of the tab window. This can be removed by editing the wppp.php on line 47 and removing the title from it:

$this->WP_Widget( 'wppp', __( 'Popular Posts', 'wordpresscom-popular-posts' ), $widget_ops, $control_ops );

change to:

$this->WP_Widget( 'wppp', __( '', 'wordpresscom-popular-posts' ), $widget_ops, $control_ops );

ThePath Tabbed Widget comes with its own CSS file so it should not conflict with your own CSS. However you may wish to edit the styles to match your own theme.

Hope you find it useful and if anybody finds a way of automagically removing the damn title from popular posts that would be awesome as it comes back when you upgrade the wpp plugin. Very annoying!

Download ThePath Tabbed Widget from the repository here.

You can see working examples of the plugin here or over at effutio.

Related Posts:

No related posts.

18 Responses to “ThePath Tabbed Widget Plugin”

1. Binsey
    December 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm

any documentation? How to put the the items to put in tab?

2. Binsey
    December 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I don’t have wppp.php file in the plug-in files?

• admin
      December 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

In the readme file it says: “You do also require WordPress Popular Posts Plugin for the popular tab and Yet Another Featured Posts Plugin for the featured tab to work.”

You have to install these two plugins before it will start working. Otherwise you will just get recent posts which is a standard WP function.

If you still have issues after installing these plugins then let me know, thanks.

• admin
        December 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm

That is WordPress.com Popular Posts links found in post above.

3. December 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

Great plugin, been looking for something simple like this for ages. A doddle to install too!

Haven’t integrated YARPP yet, uninstalled it after it kept saying I had a MYSQL error. Any ideas?

My main question is (and don’t be angry): Can images be used with the widget somehow? As in a thumbnail next to the Popular post section or example?

Thanks again

• admin
      December 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

Hi Stuart, thanks for the feedback.

OK first of its not YARPP you require but YAFPP (Featured Post Plugin). YARPP is for related posts. If you are gaing issues with it however head over to WP forum: http://wordpress.org/tags/yet-another-related-posts-plugin mitcho is very active in support so Im sure he will help you.

Secondly why would I be angry haha! Im very open to suggestions about improving the plugin, infact I have loads myself! But to answer your question yes, I could make it so the posts listed in the widget also display that posts featured image, would need to squish it to a suitable size though.

I will be looking to do a lot of work to this plugin eventually. Adding more tab options etc but unfortunatley paid work has to come first. I may inlist some paid help to push it forward however as I think this could be a great plugin. Its pretty basic at the moment.

4. Matt
    December 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the plugin, I was initially pessimistic when it said I needed two extra plugins for the tabbed widget to work, but I literally just installed them to my FTP plugin folder and your plugin worked first time.

I do have one issue, though. I can’t get rid of the ‘Popular Posts’ text which is beneath the ‘Popular’ tab, because the code you said to update in this article is not the same code in the new version of the plugin. Can you help?

Regards

5. Matt
    December 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I should mention also that there is no wppp.php file to edit.

6. Matt
    December 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Please ignore the previous two comments, I didn’t realise I was supposed to be editing the PHP file of the Popular Post plugin, rather than yours! Sorry :)

7. Henzo
    January 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hi – great plugin! Been looking for something like this for ages! Unfortunately, despite installing the 2 additional plugins, the popular posts tab doesn’t seem to work. Any suggestions?

• admin
      January 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Give it time dude. When you have popular posts stats in your admin (via the dashboard menu I think) then they will start to appear in the tab. :)

8. January 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi, after a long time this seems to be the plugin I was looking for.
    Like Henzo the Popular tab isn’t working already but I will give it a couple of days.
    Questions:
    How can I limit the list of posts to 5? (See only most 5 recent posts, etc.)
    What can I do to have all the tabs look similar? If you check my website the Featured tab posts have like a between them.
    Best regards :)

• admin
      January 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hi Diogo, thanks for using the plugin. Yes the popular tab needs time as it relys on site stats.

To answer your questions:

You will have to edit thepath-tabbed-widget.php you can do this in Plugins->Editor

Yes thanks for bringing this to my attention YAFPP inserts a br element creating an extra line. To get rid of this again go to the plugin editor and edit the file yafpp.php. Change $the_title . '

to $the_title . '' - around line 97 (it seems that WP is stripping the br tag above so make sure and remove the whole br tag with the > < and / too.

Unfortunately I cant change via my plugin what other add html-wise but I will be updating this plugin at some point, adding a lot more features etc. One feature will be to choose the number of posts to display.

Hope that helps

9. February 13, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Hello,

Anyway possible we can choose the statistics tool it bases the popular posts on? Instead of WordPress stats?

Regards

• admin
      February 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Currently no but I plan to build in support for other stats plugins. What one do you use? I can help you customise the code now if you want?

10. June 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I had two questions:
    1) Is there a way to only include Posts on the ‘popular’ tab?
    2) Is there a way to limit the ‘Recent’ tab to only 5 posts?

Thanks-this plugin looks great and works really well, just wanted to customize it a little bit!

• admin
      June 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi Sam, I really have to do an update on this and make it kick ass huh. Well currently the popular posts are driven by WP.com Popular Posts Plugin so if there is a setting in there to restrict it to post only then thats what you have to do. It might be the case that it has to be written into the function call in thepath-tabbed-widget.php on line 38……so adding something in the brackets of the function WPPP_show_popular_posts().

The answer to your second question resides in the same file. Change wp_get_archives('type=postbypost&limit=10'); to wp_get_archives('type=postbypost&limit=5');

This will be configurable when I update it…….when will the update be…..who knows……could be a while to be honest.

• June 26, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I figured out how to change it to posts only. In wordpresscom-popular-posts/wppp.php file, change Line 28 from
        “,’show’ => ‘both’